Let me just say that this dish is one of my favorite Ecuadorian dishes. Llapingachos are a delicacy in Ecuador and go well with anything. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, barbecues, parties, etc. They are made of very simple ingredients that can be found anywhere, and once you can make them, you can add different spices and other ingredients to make them. Right now, we will start off with the basics, so the ingredients you will want to get are..
- About 2 or 3 potatoes
- 2 teaspoons of oil on a frying pan
- Half an onion
- 1 cup of cheese, and
- Salt to add as you see fit
These are the main ingredients that are used to make llapingachos. Now then, follow these steps and you will be eating some delicious llapingachos for dinner tonight.
- Peel the potatoes and boil the potatoes until they are soft.
- Put the 2 teaspoons of oil on the frying pan and put the chopped onions in until they are soft.
- With the soft potatoes, mix in the onions and mash them until you have a mix of potatoes and onions.
- Cover up the potato mix with aluminum foil for about an hour.
- After about an hour, make small pancake like shapes with the dough.
- Make a hole in the middle of each dough and fill it with shredded cheese.
- Put the dough on the frying pan until both sides are golden brown.
These are the simple steps for some simple and delicious llapingacho. Now then, there are multiple toppings to put on your llapingacho. Some topics could be some chopped onions, tuna, egg, lettuce, etc. Each makes the llapingachos taste different and delicious at the same time. I hope you learned something here today and enjoy your meal.
Brian Campoverde – Francis Parker – DMSF